Sunday, November 19, 2006

For what Officer?!

I got pulled over Friday. I wasn't speeding. I wasn't talking on a cell phone. My lights were on. I was wearing a seatbelt. I wasn't driving recklessly. Would you like to know why I got pulled over? (I'm still trying to figure it out myself, there didn't seem to be a good reason...)
According to the officer - it is because I was putting on lipbalm. Yep! You read that right. Lipbalm! You know the chapstick kind - Burt's Bees brand to be exact.
I was so mad. He had no reason to pull me over. He claimed it was a traffic hazard because (and please try very hard to imagine the disdainful and lofty tone that he used here) "...more female drivers cause accidents because their too busy putting on their makeup instead of paying attention to traffic!"
Ok, first off, lipbalm is not makeup. Guys use it. Second, I wasn't using my rearview or any other mirror to apply the said lipbalm. I don't need a mirror for that. I do it by feel. It's not hard. I had one hand firmly on the stearing wheel and it took me less than 4 seconds to put the stuff on. It was all I could do not to tell him to shove off and leave me alone and take his chip-on-the-shoulder somewhere else.
But I didn't. I stayed calm and was VERY respectful. It would have been the last straw though if he had given me a ticket. He didn't. Still, what loony pulls someone over for putting on chapstick!?

No comments: