Monday, July 03, 2006

Lunchbreaks, Musings and Tirades

I just love turkey sandwiches with lettuce and pickle. :-)

The most exciting part of my day has happened: I got all my filing done! I started (again) on Saturday with a 2 inch stack of work and was able to shrink it down to about 1 1/2 inches. And this morning I finished it. May not seem like a lot, but that's a lot of paperwork to go through.

Today being July 3rd, I often wonder (as I do on most July 3rds) what the men back in 1776 felt that night when they knew that they were going to declare Independence from England the next day. I wonder if they had any concept of the transformation that America would make. Those transformations that are what America is today are so different than what our great Forefathers had imagined, I'm sure. I doubt they ever would have guessed that things like abortion and homosexuality would be so rampant and acceptable. Today people say that America is a place of freedom to do whatever they want and that this kind of freedom was exactly what our forefathers wanted. But the mentality of do what is right for you is oozing out of every nook and cranny. But if people say to do whatever feels right for you then we run into "what is right for you may not be right for me, blah, blah, blah." Then we get into subjectivity and people think they can interpret for themselves the meaning of the law per their own "feelings."
In the end Freedom loses and autonomy prevails.

No comments: