Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 6: A Moment You Wish You Could Relive

I went to Poland a year ago for 2 weeks. I went with a group from our church, the pastor and his wife from our sister church in Salem, OR and a group from a fellow church in Langley, BC.
The entire trip was an experience I will always remember and I cherish the time spent with the saints in Poland. There was one memory in particular that is very special.

It was our first Sunday in Poland and we were in the city of Legnica - the focal point of our ministry work. We walked to church (we walked everywhere in that city) Sunday morning to a Lutheran church near the city square. (The Lutherans had already had their service and was allowing our small congregation to hold service later.) This church was the most spectacular thing I had ever seen. The interior columns were so ornate and beautifully painted. The floors and pews were made of wood, aged and polished to a glowing sheen. The stained glass windows depicted various scenes from the Bible - the likes of which I had only seen in art books or photographs. And then we sang. None of us were professional singers though some were in church choirs and local ensembles. That moment, when the sound of our voices echoed back in our ears, ten times louder than we were actually singing: my first thought was that the choirs of heaven were singing Psalms with us. It was one of the most moving and powerful moments in my life. There really aren't words to describe the experience fully. I'm just so thankful for the opportunity to have been part of that missions trip and for the amazing things God showed us while we were there. If I could go back and relive that moment on that Sunday morning, I would. Over and over again.

No comments: