Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 8: A thank you letter to someone who has changed your life.

Letter to my Great-Grandmother, Rena Bufe (1908-2007)

Dear Grandma,

I can hear your voice saying “Hello my Dear, and how are you doing?” I would reply, “I’m doing really well Grandma, how are you?” And your standard answer followed by that infectious giggle “Oh, I’m just fat and sassy!” Even though I knew what you were going to say, I still laughed every time.

I don’t know if I ever told you this, but I want to be like you when I grow up. Dad and Mom like to tease me and call me ‘Rena’. They say “that’s where you go it from” It being this innate strong will, stubbornness, and determination that you personified in your life. Honestly, I think that is the highest compliment anyone can pay me. This year would have been your 102nd birthday. I’m almost one-quarter of that. I think back on your life, your testimony, and am so thankful I can look back and see you as a kind of measuring stick in my own life.

I want to be able to shine wherever I go – not be afraid to talk about Jesus to everyone, be able to find the happiness in any situation, and to laugh my way through life.

There is much more I could say, but not enough time or space to write it, but I guess what I’m trying to say is: Thank you. Thank you for your unwavering faith and testimony of God’s love and goodness. Thank you for being such an exemplary Christian lady. I truly hope I can be like you someday. I’m so blessed I had the opportunity to know you and for the perspective you’ve given my life. I am so happy that I will get to see you again someday and that those days of laughing and rejoicing with Jesus will never end.

Love Always,
Rachel

No comments: