Monday, May 02, 2005

40 Days Until Camp

Good afternoon everyone!
I hope you all had a good Sabbath.
I forgot to mention in the last email that if anyone knew of anyone that would like to get the countdown but isn’t on the list, to please let me know and I will get them on the list.
Have you ever had memories brought on by a smell? This happened to me the other night. I was driving with my dad down a country road when we smelled something like lighter fluid. I have no idea why, but I suddenly had remembered my first Family Camp memory ever. (*music plays and screen fuzzies to reveal a new scene*)
I must have been about 7 years old, (it was my first Camp) and the Church was staying at a place called Salmon Falls. (Also refered to as Salmonella Falls by some). Anyway, our family was staying in an A-frame cabin that was dark and full of cobwebs and spiders and a really dirty floor. I remember wandering around at night, by myself, shivering in my pajamas (I hadn’t thought of getting a coat…c’mon I was 7), trying to find Dad. Rebekah, who was 4, had woken up crying because she needed to use the bathroom. Bethany who was 10 ½ , didn’t want to go because she didn’t want to get up and it was dark outside; so she made me go. I can still feel how cold the floor was when I climbed down from my bunk. Brrr!
What does any of this have to do with lighter fluid? I think it’s because when I finally found Dad, which seemed like FOREVER, he was sitting with some other dads by a small fire and it smelled like cigar smoke and lighter fluid.
So there you have it: my first Camp memory. I have since multiplied my memories since that year, no more of which have to do with wandering in the dark in my pajamas or lighter fluid. :-)
What’s one of your best (or worst, if you’re the pessimistic type) Camp memory? I know we do this every year, but peoples’ favorite memories seem to change quite rapidly. :-)
40 Days until Family Camp!
Rachel :-)

No comments: